Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

True Story

One of my former bosses used to tell me that every day you should learn something new. I tried to take it to heart and through the years that saying has echoed through my mind often.  Early every year I share the concept with my students.  When they come across something surprising or new I tell them,  "Terrific!  You learn something new every day!  Every day is better when you are learning!"  I say it with the exuberance of a cheerleader which helps with the impact. 

By this point of the year, it's great to hear one of my students mimic me and tell another student, "Yep! You learn something new every day!"  It's almost like they expect it now and go out of their way to make a new discovery.  It could be as simple as learning how to turn on the document camera or as complicated as fixing an issue with one of the laptops.  It could be as generic as figuring out how to fix the pencil sharpener or as creative as making a new connection in their learning.  It doesn't have to be big.  It just has to be something new.    

The same wonderful boss I worked with that gave me the advice mentioned above, forwarded this quote to me one day years ago and it's always been one of my favorites.  I think it's great advice for a teacher.  



You get the best out of others when you give the best of yourself. 

— Harvey S. Firestone



What about you?  Did you learn something new today?  Did you give the best of yourself?


2 comments:

  1. Boy, I sure did! What a terrific mantra. Mind if I use it too? See, you are a fount of knowledge, an inspiration to the masses (of kids and teachers), a hard act to follow. And, I love learning from you! You are the BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've realized that everything I DO something different or spend time with someone different, I learn something. One of my goals is to be getting more involved in the community through the library book club and volunteer opportunities in the area, etc. Even if it is not text book learning (although I read a fair amount too), I find I gain a lot of world knowledge this way.

    ReplyDelete