Pages

Monday, December 30, 2013

I Have Something You Don't Have

My class is so great!  At our holiday party last week, they presented me with a basket full of my favorite things.  They had baking books, lots of chocolate, and Tic Tacs. They know me very well.  And then they surprised me with a very unique and fun gift that I never would have expected.  Can you find it in the picture below?  








If you missed it, check out the close up picture here -->

Yep.  That's right.  I received a mirror ball.  A disco ball.  A Time's Square NYE ball or whatever you want to call it.  

I couldn't wait to hang it up.  And although I raced out of the school on the last day before break to head to the airport and catch a plane, I stopped into my classroom today to get it hung up.  I strategically placed it by a light so it will reflect, and on a hook so it will turn and move. I wanted it hanging up when the kids return to school. 

Words cannot even begin to describe how cool this gift is.  First of all, it was such a surprise.  Never in a million years would I ever have expected to open a gift from eight year olds and find a mirror ball.   Secondly, it's shiny and bright and sparkly.  Classroom bling, if you will.  Super!  What classroom wouldn't be better off with a reflecting, silver mirror ball?

It's rather coincidental that my formative years occurred in the 70's.  You know.... Saturday Night Fever, Go-Go boots, mini skirts, polyester pant suits, Farrah Fawcett hair styles, Studio 54, the Hustle, and disco. So the fact that I received a mirror/disco ball is perfect.  The parents probably had no idea how spectacular this gift would truly be.

I have to admit, I loved disco music in the 70's and I still love it today. Now before you get the wrong idea and not talk to me again, it's not like I have a radio station on all disco all the time in my car or anything.  But truth be told, the only way I can run on the treadmill for more than ten minutes is if I have my iPhone playing Pandora's Disco channel.  Hey people.. it works.  I can run a fairly decent 5K with Funkytown, Brickhouse, and We Are Family blasting.  It's much more motivating to run to that music genre than some of the others.  [think: rap]

After receiving my gift, I had to call several people and let them know that I had, in fact, received the BEST TEACHER GIFT IN THE WORLD.  Of course I made them all guess first what they thought it could be and they all failed.  No one even came close, although one guessed wine.  Which, by the way, I also received this year.  And is also a great teacher gift.   

I'm thinking I'll introduce some 70's music into my playlist of songs when we return to school in January.  Up until now, The Beatles and Chubbie Checker's 'The Twist' have been pretty popular in my classroom.   [Don't judge me people]  Mostly, I stick with classical music, but nothing settles down a roomful of wigglers more than doing the twist for five minutes.  If you don't believe me, give it a try.   I'm thinking I'll try some Kool & The Gang:  Celebration

Teacher friends, although I'm sure I do, indeed, have something you (and 99% of the population) don't have, please stop by when we return to school for a look at the mirror ball.  

And if we happen to be doing the Hustle, don't hesitate to join in.






No comments:

Post a Comment