Pages

Sunday, April 4, 2021

It's The Final Countdown

 If there is one thing that is certain, it's that things change.  School is always a place of constant change for a teacher, so I'd like to say that we are (in general) a group of people that can:

1.  Accept change (constantly and suddenly)

2.  Adapt and thrive with change (thanks to teacher friends)

3. Learn to be in a constant state of change (try it - it's fun! Really!)

4. Make it look like we didn't change anything but simply "moved forward" smoothly and without missing a beat  (did I mention teachers are amazing?)


So, when COVID hit a year ago, teachers did what they always do.... adapted to change.  We taught remotely, we learned ten million new things about using technology, often staying up late at night to figure things out or phone a friend to help (often through tears).  We learned to reach out to kids virtually (the first time ever for me) and figured out ZOOM and how to conference with parents via video.  We perfected, "Your mic isn't on" and "Turn your mic off", embedded fun online breaks for kids, and took time to check-in with each student on how they were dealing with the "new" normal.  We moved from remote, to hybrid, and finally, just recently to all day in-person.  We created curriculum and detailed schedules for hybrid, remote, and kept in contact with students quarantined to keep them involved in the classroom learning. We were barely one step ahead of everything going on - all the while making sure our own families were safe and healthy.  It has been exhausting to say the least. 

The biggest change of my life is coming up this year.   I've decided, after twenty-five years to retire.  I've moved my plans up a bit, but I feel the time is right.  I'm ready.  Will I miss the kids?  YES.  Will I miss my teacher friends?  A lot.  Will I miss the daily community of a classroom?  For sure.  Will I miss the learning (for both me and the kids)? Without a doubt.  Will I miss seeing kids learn and discover new things every day? Yeah... it's amazing.   

I'm lucky to have had a great teaching career in a wonderful district.  I've met so many people over the years who have inspired me, helped me, taught me, collaborated with me,  and befriended me.  I have gotten to know hundreds of kids, each unique in their own way that have impacted me in ways I can't begin to explain. 

My plan is to revive my blog for the final fifty days of my career to share my classroom stories.  I want to give to you a window into the fun and inspirational days of a teacher.  If you're new to my blog, check out my earlier posts for some perspective.   

Start this journey with me:   The Final Countdown

#fiftydays


1 comment:

  1. Your retirement will leave some huge shoes to fill, a good challenge for a younger colleague and you will be sincerely missed, but I know that you will be inspirational and successful in whatever endeavor you choose next. Thank you for improving the minds of so many of us and our young students. I am so fortunate and grateful that two of those young minds belonged to my daughters. <3 Lisa

    ReplyDelete