Friday, September 5, 2014

Feeling Groovy

It's the end of the first week back-to-school.  This can be a rough transition for teachers to shift from "it's summer and I can do whatever I want to whenever I want to" to "I have twenty-four little cuties that show up at my door at 9 a.m. and don't leave until 4:00 p.m. every day."

In a nutshell, this is how my first week back went: 

The second day of school, I was in bed by 8:30.  And sleeping like a baby by 8:32.  Getting a solid ten to prepare for day 3.  This job is hard.

All those Pinterest thirty-minute weekday dinner recipes pinned during the summer were bypassed for a trip to the nearest drive-thru, or foraging in the pantry for anything canned and microwavable.  Who am I kidding?

The accidental stain from the red dry erase marker at 9:30 a.m. remained on my shirt not only all day long, but into the evening too.  Actually, I think I slept in that shirt.

Thank God for bluetooth in my car, as I certainly didn't have the strength to raise my phone to my ear and hold it there while talking.  The fact that I could even stay awake for the whole conversation should earn me major kudos.

No personal phone calls, emails, or texts have been returned this week. Absolutely won't take the time to listen to a voicemail.  If you tried to contact me, try again sometime in mid-October.  It's not you, it's me.

I can take a pass this week on any Lifetime fitness class as my quads are screaming from squatting at tables to talk with students all week.  On a positive note, my Nike fuelband shows a minimum of 11,000 steps every day.   Winning. 

Eyes are permanently in glazed over mode.  I'm not trying to ignore you, I really just don't care.  

There is a huge blister on my big toe from high heels that I haven't worn since last June. Looking good is feeling good.  

Having to get out of bed every morning to the jolt of an alarm and put on make-up gets old by day 4.  When is the next holiday break?

All extra effort and time put in to blow dry hair is futile.   Was defeated by 99% humidity and A/C not working in classroom all week.  Ugh.

Best efforts to pack healthy lunch every day to bring to school were beaten out by not enough time in the morning and justifying it with my school's "New Improved Healthy Menu".  Whole wheat pizza crust counts, right?

I'm exhausted times 10.  
I've learned twenty-four new names and faces and personalities.    

Next week I'll get in the groove and not be so worn out by week's end. I'll have built up some stamina for caring for twenty-four little ones all day. 

Maybe I'll even stay up past 9. 


1 comment:

  1. You survived! You are brave to wear heels! I wore them my first day and that was about it. My feet were throbbing for like a week. :)